#CEOSleepOut2016

tag-ceo#CEOSleepOut2016

The #CEOSleepOut2016 has been described as a “major success” with million of rands raised for educational causes and hundreds of homeless people getting assistance.

Several high-profile South Africans have also dismissed criticism of the event saying it is a “Ubuntu in Action.”

Chief Ambassador of the Sun International #CEOSleepOut2016, Yusuf Abramjee, said almost 1000 people gathered on the Nelson Mandela Bridge in Johannesburg on Thursday evening. 200 of them were CEO’s. They were joined by students.

“Pledges are in excess of R25million. Gift of the Givers and Operation Snowball distributed clothing and blankets to hundreds of homeless people yesterday – thanks to the Sun International #CEOSleepOut2016,” Abramjee said.

“There has been some criticism about the event on social media. People are entitled to their opinions but the reality is that the Sun International #CEOSleepOut2016 is making a real difference,” he added.

Abramjee said that there has been “an overwhelming positive response to the Sun International #CEOSleepOut2016 philanthropic movement and it again shows we are a caring and giving nation. We are seeing Ubuntu in Action.”

Public Protector, Advocate Thuli Madonsela, who is also an Ambassdor for the #CEOSleepOut2016 said on Twitter: “We should pity those who do and say nothing to improve lives and only find energy criticize the inadequacies of those making a difference.”

Gauteng Premier, David Makhura, and Johannesburg Mayor, Parks Tau, who also took part in the Sleepout said the criticism was unfounded.

“We will continue to support and grow the CEO SleepOut and the business sector is assisting to help those in need. We will continue working with them,” Makhura said. Last year, he also joined CEO’s for the night.

Businessman Tokyo Sexwale said: “There are three types of people – those who do nothing, those who criticize, and those who take action.”

Sexwale made a surprise visit to the #CEOSleepout2016 to pledge his support and offered to host the event on Robben Island in 2017 on Mandela Day, 18 July.

Finance Minister, Pravin Gordhan, called on the CEO’s to continue making a difference and said municipalities should all also support the event in 2017.

Over 60 schools, 10 universities and colleges and 40 companies took part in School, Student and Sympathy Sleepouts this year. Last night, hundreds of people gathered in Laudium, Pretoria, for a Sleepout to raise awareness and assist charities.

Gauteng Education MEC, Panyaza Lesufi, who visited some School Sleepouts with Premier Makhura said “he was touched by the effort put in. Next year, we are going to grow the School SleepOuts. It is heartwarming to see our young people and educators doing good work.”

Abramjee said: “We salute the thousands of people who have come out to support the Sun International #CEOSleepOut2016 and we will continue to assist where we can.”

Ali Gregg, CEO of the Sun International CEO SleepOut said plans were underway to grow the event and also take it to other parts of the continent.

Other Sun International #CEOSleepOut2016 ambassadors are Carolyn Steyn from 67 Blankets, media personalities Leanne Manas and Ashraf Garda, Singer Yvonne Chaka Chaka, Editor of the Star, Kevin Ritchie, Australia’s High Commissioner to South Africa Adam McCarthy. 11 school and student leaders are ambassadors.

Next week, Brand SA’s a “Play Your Part” movement will distribute hundreds of books to schools. They were collected on the bridge.

Sun International has announced they will again sponsor the CEO Sleepout next year.

Darren Olivier of the CEO Sleepout Trust has thanked media houses (including Jacaranda – CEO SleepOut, Cliff Central – Sympathy SleepOut and The Star and Caxton – School SleepOut official partners) and companies for the support. “We could not have done it without you.”

End+

Yusuf Abramjee
Cell 082 4414 203
Twitter: @abramjee

LIMPOPO KIDNAPPING SUSPECTS GRANTED BAIL: MOOSA FAMILY DISAPPOINTED

MEDIA STATEMENT FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE

Thursday 19 May 2016

LIMPOPO KIDNAPPING SUSPECTS GRANTED BAIL: MOOSA FAMILY DISAPPOINTED

The Moosa family has criticized the decision by the Polokwane Magistrates Court granting bail to three men accused of kidnapping 35-year-old Anisah Moosa.

The suspects are also linked to other kidnapping cases, robbery and the attempted murder of three police officers.

Samuel Kabo (28) from Pretoria, Masilo Gafane (33) and Benny Mudau (34) allegedly kidnapped Anisah Moosa in March from outside her uncles home in Nirvana, Polokwane. They demanded R3-million ransom. She was freed three days later after a police operation saw the three policemen shot and injured. The suspects were later arrested.

Anisah was unharmed.

Since the start of the bail hearing, hundreds of protestors have been gathering outside the court building demanding #NoBail and #CrimeMust Fall. Members of the ANC and DA joined in. The vociferous crowd chanted “No Bail for Kidnappers” and “We want justice.”

Moosa family spokesman, anti-crime activist Yusuf Abramjee, said: “We are disappointed that the Magistrate granted bail of R10 000 each to the three men.

“We have no option but to respect the decision of the court.

“We now look forward to the speedy finalization of the trial. We want to see justice taking its course. We also remain hopeful that the police will make further arrests soon,” said Abramjee.

He added: “The family is grateful to the community of Limpopo and Polokwane in particular for the support we received from Day 1. United we stand. We must continue to stand up against crime and make our voices heard.

“Yes, bail is a process…but for such serious crimes we believe the men should NOT have been granted bail,” he said.

“We do remain hopeful the law is going to come down hard on those responsible for a series of violent crimes,” the family added.

Anisah is recovering well from her ordeal and she has again thanked South Africans for the “ongoing support.”

End

ENQUIRIES:
Yusuf Abramjee
Cell 082 4414 203
Email: yusuf@abramjee.com
Twitter: @abramjee

MEDIA RELEASE: CRIME STOPPERS INTERNATIONAL APPOINTS SOUTH AFRICAN TO HEAD UP COMMUNICATIONS

 

Crime Stoppers International (CSI) is pleased to announce the appointment of South African, Yusuf Abramjee as Chairman of CSI’s Global Media Communications Committee and Global Director of Communications.

As the Chairman of Global Media Communications, Abramjee shall be responsible for ensuring our global audiences become more aware of our partnerships with international and regional media such as CNN, BBC World, and our global law enforcement partners, Interpol, United Nations Office of Drug Crime (UNODC), and the leading NGO’s we work with such as the World Wildlife Fund (WWF).

The task ahead for Yusuf will also include developing further media partnerships within communities in Europe, Caribbean and the Americas, Canada, Africa, and Australasia.

CSI President, Alexander MacDonald, said: “We are delighted that Yusuf has accepted this very important role as our Media Chair and Global Communications Director. His experience and expertise are most needed at this time in our organization’s development. The appointment takes effect on 1 January 2016.”

MacDonald said Yusuf is a global anti-crime activist, known and respected for his work as the Head of Crime Line SA. He was chair of the CSI Conference hosted in Cape Town, South Africa in 2014. “We are on record as saying it was one of the best, biggest and most successful conferences CSI has hosted.”

CSI recently relocated its global headquarters to The Hague in the Nederlands. “While Yusuf will be based in Johannesburg, he will also travel between the two countries as required. We are also pleased that he will continue to undertake other tasks and responsibilities and continue to do good in communities and create a safer world. He is an active social cohesion advocate and also an Interpol #TurnBackCrime Ambassador.”

Yusuf said he was looking forward to the new challenge.

“CSI is continuing to grow and I look forward to taking the organization to the next level. This is an exciting new chapter for me and I am ready for the challenge. Crime Stoppers is critical to the success of law enforcement as law enforcement is critical in the fight against crime. We need to further cement this kind of relationship around the world.”

Crime Line Scoops Excellence Award

Crime Line has been rated first overall for its crime prevention initiatives, according to a PMR.africa survey of the City of Johannesburg.

The results of the survey were revealed during PMR.africa’s annual Business Excellence Awards Breakfast in Rosebank, Johannesburg where the 2014 Diamond Arrow Award was presented to the tip-off service. This is the fourth year that Crime Line receives this award.

Head of Crime Line, Yusuf Abramjee, welcomed the award: “We are humbled by this honour to be recognised for Crime Line’s work. This has been a big year for us as we successfully staged the first Crime Stoppers International Conference in Africa and plans to expand the anonymous tip-off model to Namibia and other African countries in the New Year are well underway.

“We know that this accolade is for the thousands of anonymous heroes in our country that blow the whistle on crime. Without your support and partnership we will not be able to do the work that we do.”

The annual City of Johannesburg survey focuses on companies and institutions that contribute to the economic growth and development of the city. Some 160 respondents that include CEOs, MDs, business owners, company directors, managers and senior government officials recognised Crime Line’s contribution to the City’s crime prevention initiatives.

“This award challenges us to raise the bar on our efforts. We have some exciting innovations in store for the tip-off service and we are confident that we will continue to offer the public a safe and effective way to report wrongdoing,” Abramjee added.

Crime Line also thanked the South African Police Service (SAPS) for their continued commitment to investigating tip-offs.

“We are particularly grateful to the Crime Stop team that we work with very closely. You will be hard-pressed to fund a more dedicated and  professional group of people. Thank you for helping us shine.”

Crime Line urged anyone with information about criminal activity to pass it on the 32211 SMS service, online at www.crimeline.co.za or by contacting Crime Stop on 08600 10111.

“Remember to be as detailed as possible. Crime Line protects you as a tipster, so we will not be able to follow up with you if any information is missing. Include everything you think could be helpful to police in their investigation,” Abramjee urged.

 

/ENDS.

PRIMEDIA BROADCASTING ANNOUNCES PRESTIGIOUS INAUGURAL HUMAN RIGHTS AWARD

Primedia Broadcasting, a division of the Primedia Group, have announced the inaugural Kuben Pillay Award which will be presented to its first recipient at the University of Witwatersrand’s (Wits) Law School graduation in March 2015.

The award will seek to recognise the top LL.M (Master of Law) in Human Rights Advocacy and Litigation student.

The award was named after Primedia Group Chairman, Kuben Pillay, as a tribute to his prolific law career and the tenacity with which he safeguarded Primedia Broadcasting’s right to freedom of expression during his tenure as CEO of the Group – a position he stepped down from earlier this year.

Roger Jardine has since been appointed CEO of the Group.

“Our ability to freely express ourselves is the cornerstone of our existence and is a must-have ingredient for our success now, and going into the future. It is therefore befitting that we honour Kuben’s legacy and contribution to our much-cherished human rights through the establishment of this award,” said Primedia Broadcasting CEO, Terry Volkwyn.

“Kuben’s relationship with Primedia Broadcasting has been a close one.  Whatever projects we embarked on, he was always there to support or give advice. His faith in our team and open door policy gave us wings to continuously nurture and grow our brands.

“He embraced Lead SA when we launched it in 2010 and made every effort to adopt its philosophy into the Group’s values. It is a privilege to honour his legacy of civil activism and exceptional leadership,” Volkwyn added.

Primedia Broadcasting has also committed to a R20 000 cash prize annually, over a period of five years, to accompany the merit award for a deserving student in this category.

Pillay has been with Primedia for over 20 years and will step down from executive to non-executive chairman of the Group.

“I’m still reeling from the occasion…my sincerest gratitude for the acknowledgement,” said Pillay. “I am humbled and this honour is most touching.”

Pillay did his BA and LLB degrees at Wits majoring in Politics, Law and International Relations. After Wits, Kuben went to Howard University in Washington DC where he studied for his Master of Law in Human & Civil Rights and Labour Law.

On completion of his studies in 1986, Kuben approached Cyril Ramaphosa at the National Union of Mineworkers (NUM).  Author, Anthony Butler best describes the young Kuben in Ramaphosa’s biography, “a highly talented young black lawyer called Kuben Pillay”.  He successfully set up and ran the NUM’s legal team.

He later joined the public interest law firm of Krish Naidoo, Nicholls and Cambanis. In 1992, he joined Cheadle Thompson & Haysom as a managing financial partner. During his time in practice, Kuben was involved in many landmark labour law and policy decisions.

He left legal practice and became one of the founding directors of the Mineworkers Investments Company (MIC), which went on to acquire a strategic and controlling interest in the Primedia Group. Pillay played a key role during a successful bid for 94.7 Highveld Stereo (now 947) and 567 Cape Talk (now Cape Talk) in 1996. In 2009 he was appointed as CEO of the Group.

/ENDS.